Herbed Caramelized Onion with Manchego Mashed Potato Empanada
Paired with 2014 Malbec
4 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 cup Butter
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Shredded Manchego
1/2 Bunch Chopped Parsley
1/2 Bunch Chopped Thyme
4 Large Yellow Onions
3 Cups Water 1 Package Puff Pastry
1. Preheat oven to 375* F.
2. Thinly slice onions and add to cold pan with one cup of water. Turn heat to high and cover pan for 3 minutes until onions have become translucent. If onions start to stick to bottom don’t worry, add 1/2 cup of water and stir. Stirring onions occasionally, add 1/2 cup of butter to onions and allow to melt. Continue stirring until onions have started to caramelize. Use remaining water to deglaze pan when onions stick to bottom. Keep stirring onions until they have become a deep golden brown. Once onions have caramelized add chopped herbs and season with salt to taste.
3. While onions are caramelizing, peel and cut potatoes into uniform pieces. Add potatoes to large pot with plenty of cold water. Turn heat to high and cook potatoes until you can easily pierce with knife. Drain potatoes and allow so dry for about five minutes.
4. While potatoes are drying combine one cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of butter one medium heat until butter has melted and cream is hot.
5. Using a food mill, mash potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add herbed caramelized onions, half of the butter cream mixture and one cup of shredded Manchego cheese. Mix until smooth adding more cream slowly to get rid of any lumps. Season to taste with salt and allow to cool.
6. Using a circular cookie cutter, punch out puff pastry into rounds of desired size. Spoon mashed potatoes into center of puff pastry. Fold pastry over and press tightly to seal.
7. Arrange empanadas on parchment lined cookie sheet about 1/2 inch away from each other and bake for 9 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for an additional 9 minutes or until golden brown and flakey.
Arrange empanadas in a serving basket lined with your favorite cloth napkin.